To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee


                           
To Kill a Mocking Bird is a highly acclaimed American Novel, almost famous in every part of the world. This is the only novel that Harper Lee had written in her life-time that gave her world- wide fame. So I also thought to read this.

The book is known for its grave depiction of racism- not of only ‘the blacks’ but every kind of people living in the fictional county Maycomb, Albama. It also shows awesome wit and humor, goodwill for mankind, sense of justice and also hatred based on superstitious prejudices.

Overall it’s a good book, it didn’t fascinate me much, I felt bored upto  180 pages almost, because it revolved then around only the activities of Scout, Jem and Dill to lure Boo Radley to come out of his house. I wish I could pick this book earlier in my teenage or adolescence, then I could find it more amusing.

Well, I liked the second-half part of the novel , but should I say it was amazing…No..it was good. I wrote this line in my review because of ninety percent of people who read this, rated this or reviewed this, found it amazing, unforgettable and so many adjectives.

If I talk about racism, being an Indian I am well-acquainted of it’s almost synonym “Casteism”. More or less discrimination is everywhere, in India it is in high  quantity somewhat you can’t escape in your day-to-day conversation even if you try hard. So, it was predictable for me that Tom, a black man will be convicted by the jury, made of only the Whites, for the crime which he hadn’t committed, though Atticus tried his best to reveal the truth about the real happenings.

The basic trait of mankind is that it is not flawless, every man and women, belongs to any race or cast always possess desire, jealousy, sense to dominate, sense to prove him/herself, greed, selfishness along with so many other good qualities, but discrimination or the idea of racism developed by the dominants of the society allows to adhere all the ill-qualities to a particular sect to which chances are not given to raise and which has suffered by continuous exploitation. These things are responsible for the superiority complex of the people who thinks how can a low cast person challenge their ego, and they can cross any limit to satisfy their superiority complex, as Bob Ewell does when he tries to kill Atticus’ children or to burgle in the judge’s house.

Rating- 3/5


Comments