The Confidence- A Story

The Confidence 

There was a tea-stall on the left side of  Kundanpur road, not over-crowded like Sharma’s tea-stall, because the place was somewhat forlorn as it was near a graveyard, half a mile away . On the right side, a businessman had bought a big plot and left it for some further plans, and adjacent to the plot there were paddy-fields and a pavement wide enough has gone through the fields to the jungle. The jungle was about two kilometers from the stall.

My evening stroll used to end up there with tea, if got any acquainted person, talked for a few minutes and after that back to home. That day when I stopped for the tea, I noticed a man with a bag came . The bag was of fine leather and costly. He was thirty or more than thirty years old, as I guessed. He asked, “ which side is the graveyard?”

 I pointed from the finger,  “ just a few step ahead on your backside the pavement that goes left leads to the graveyard” 

He thanked and said , “ I am here to attend a funeral , people might be coming with the  bier, I will join them.”

“Oh , I got that” I  said, “ but why is this bag in a funeral?”

“ After funeral, I have to go Bahraich to attend a friend’s marriage”,  he revealed the secret of the bag.

“What a coincidence! Strange!”, I sighed , “ Okay, take the tea sir.”

We both were talking and sipping the tea on a bench, the bag was layed beside him on the ground, his face was on my side and the owner of the tea-stall was washing some used glasses. I saw a teenage boy coming towards me from the graveyard’s way, the man was talking to me , the owner was washing the glass, when the boy was about to reach us, just on a few step, he at once picked the bag and rushed like a deer to the right, towards the jungle. The very moment, I screamed, “ Sir, your bag….”, the man turned his head, saw the boy who was running through the plot owned by the businessman, but he looked calm, no sign of disturbance, had he begun to chase, could easily catch the boy, but he didn’t move. Watching him reluctant to chase, I decided to run after the boy, but he stopped me saying, “ Leave master saab, let me take the tea first.”


The boy ran almost an half kilometer, it was dusk, even if I would have started, could catch him, but now I wasn’t sure if the man could get his bag back after delaying a few minutes. He finished the tea, payed the bill and said, “ Now I am going to bring the bag, it won’t take a long time, I’ll be back within ten minutes” I was just amazed on his behavior, he crossed the road without making  haste and afterwards he ran  like a bullet was shot from a rifle. The boy wasn’t in the sight now,  but I saw the man was running as a mongrel dog was behind him.

 After four or five minutes, the man was also out of the sight. I decided to wait for a further ten minutes. Since I was sure now that he would lost his bag today I didn’t want to waste my time. First I was puzzled by his attitude of neither chasing promptly nor let me chase, he was not a Ussain Bolt after all. I crossed the road, went on the right; tried to watch if there was someone coming. For a while , I couldn’t see anyone but after a minute I saw someone coming ; after a few seconds the image became clearer. It was the same strange man who didn’t tell his name yet. When he came nearer I could watch the bag in his hands. I smiled , waved my hand ;  he responded in the same way. He was still running, but on a slower pace.

I congratulated him on getting the lost bag. He just said, “ I had the confidence that I would catch the thief even after ten minutes.”
                                                                                    
-          Ravi Prakash


                         






Comments