Malgudy Days

Malgudy days  (4.5/5)


Almost every student in India is familiar with Malgudy Days written by R. K. Narayan. Either in written form or broadcasted on television, the stories of Malgudy Days, like Shaktimaan and Chacha Chaudhary have influenced and entertained people. Anyone can think that I am exaggerating this , but it is true about Malgudy Days.


The book is the collection of thirty three stories. I omitted the first story, ‘ An Astrologer’s Day’, since I have read this in Intermediate and as a teacher I taught it so many times that it always seemed fresh in mind. I also remembered while turning the pages that I have watched the story, ‘Naga’ and still some blurred images were playing in minds. I think that anyone who picks Malgudy Days to read in our country must get the joy of reminding the childhood fun. R. K. Narayan’s portrayal of character and humor can’t let anyone leave  a story unfinished. 

.
Every story talks about the various facets of common man’s life. If we leave the stories from The Talkative Man, the events in every story look genuine. I think the main purpose of The Talkative Man is to serve humour on the place of reality. The longest story in the book is titled, ‘Second Opinion’, the story of a boy’s inner dilemma to marry or not to marry in order to save his mother’s life.
 Some stories like, ‘The Tiger’s Claw’ , ‘The Snake Song’, ‘Engine Trouble’, ‘Lawley Road’ and , ‘Cat Within’ make you laugh. Stories like, ‘ An Astrologer’s Day’, ‘Trail of The Green Blazer’, ‘ The Martyr’s Corner’, ‘ Hungry Child’ and ‘Emden’ leave you in a vogue and compel you to think about the ending and to praise of Nrayan’s art of story-telling. Stories like , ‘Missing Mail’ , ‘The Doctor’s Word’, ‘Fourty Five a Month’, ‘Out of Buisness’, ‘The Axe’ , ‘ A Shadow’ , ‘Leela’s Friend’, and  ‘Selvi’ simply shows the frailties, strength and natural instinct of mankind- these stories affect deep in one’s conscience. Well, it is my personal opinion that ending of three stories seemed to me awkward as I haven’t prepared myself even one percent for such endings, stories like, ‘ Ishwaran’ in which a boy who was getting failure every year in the intermediate exam, commits suicide in madness after seeing his result as passed. Another story, ‘Such Perfection’ was beyond my ability to get its theme. The third story, ‘Gateman’s Gift’ has also an awkward ending, perhaps Narayan exaggerated the innocence of the then common people. 

.

R. K. Narayan was often asked, “Where is Malgudy?” and his answer was often, “ If I explain that Malgudy is a small town in South India, I shall only be expressing a half-truth, for the characteristics of Malgudy seem to me universal.”  So  the best quality of these stories is their universality. Anyone can find the characters of Malgudy in Newyork as well as in a village of India. The fight for existense, little wishes, big dreams, rediculous plans, all these are the parts human beings around the globe and Malgudy Days is the mirror of all these.

Comments